Friday, February 18, 2011

Foodie Friday!

Happy Friday everyone! The sun is shining, it's a pro-d day and the kids are having quiet time. Life doesn't get much better. Today I'm sharing a recipe that just got tested this morning. It's been approved by the Bruneski kids so I'm sure it will be a hit in your home as well. These muffins are a perfect healthy snack and with the quinoa, they're protein filled. I love that the recipe makes just 12 so they won't go stale before they get gobbled up. This recipe comes from the Quinoa 365 The Everyday Superfood. I picked it up at Costco. I adapted is slightly so here you go!

Strawberry Banana Muffins

Ingredients
1/4 cup quinoa
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup of brown sugar packed (I used sucarut)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt (of course greek for me!)
1 large egg
1 cup of mashed ripe banana about 2 medium
1 cup of frozen diced strawberries


The bakers
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place quinoa and water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off burner but keep pot on it with lid on for an additional 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool.


Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add cooled quinoa to the mixture and stir until combined


In another bowl, combine oil and brown sugar. Mix in the yogurt, egg and vanilla.




Mash banana with a fork and add to wet mixture. Add the diced strawberries to the flour mixture. Pour into wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Place batter into lined muffin tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes. I gave it a few extra:)



Enjoy a fantastic snack!

Have a wonderful Sunny day!
Sarah


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try these, look delish. I bought quinoa last week but haven't tried it yet. On a side note, I recognize your son from my son's school. Such a sweet boy with a fabulous smile!
    I think once I figure out the follow you process I will be following until then I lurk through Cyndi.

    ReplyDelete