Friday, February 11, 2011

Foodie Friday!

Good Evening all! I hope today has gone well for you. I just finished and passed my group fitness module through BCPRA so am pretty pumped about that! With Valentines approaching this coming week I thought I'd share and easy, healthy, and kid friendly recipe. I like this one because you are pretty much guaranteed to have the ingredients on hand. This recipe comes from a soup cookbook I picked up at Costco but I did make a few variations...

Carrot and Apple Soup

Ingredients:
2 lbs of carrots peeled and roughly chopped
3 stalks of celery chopped
1 large onion diced
3 apples cored and sliced
4 cups of vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp tomato paste
Juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot saute carrots, celery, and onion with a swirl of olive oil until onions are soft.
Add vegetable stock, two of the apples, bay leaf, and tomato paste.
Bring to a simmer and let simmer on low for 20 minutes until carrots and apples are completely cooked.
In the meantime place remaining apple slices into a skillet and add a tbsp or so of lemon juice over them. Heat until just soft and set aside.
Remove bay leaf and discard.
Puree the soup in batches. When soup is smooth, ladle into bowls and top with the warm apple slices.
Enjoy!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on passing your BCPRA group fitness module! Way to go Sarah! :O)

    ReplyDelete