Friday, February 10, 2012

Resolution Recharge Day 8. A Recipe and a Challenge!

Good Morning! We're done our first week, every one's been pushing hard in the classes and hopefully you've come along and done an exercise challenge or two. Before we hit the weekend I wanted to share another one of my favorite snacks. I usually make a big batch of these and then just reheat them during the week. Add some extra veggies and you have a great lunch or eat alone as a mini-meal on the go.

Mini Pizzas




The trick to these tasty treats is to pretoast your english muffins, this way you won't get soggy crusts once your toppings go on.

Ingredients
English Muffins (whole wheat preferably)
low sodium tomato sauce
Italian seasoning
Veggies of choice (peppers, tomatoes,onion, mushrooms etc..)
protein of choice( think quick...deli meat, leftover meat from dinner,)
Cheese (for the small amount your using, I go with full fat for the better melt!)

So here's the super quick run down. I pop the english muffins in the toaster or oven depending on how many I'm making. While they're toasting, I combine a can of tomato sauce with about 1.5 tbsp of italian seasoning.Keep the leftover sauce in your fridge for your next batch (It won't be long before you make these again!)  Dice up your veggies making sure they're small since they'll only be under the broiler for a few minutes. Dice up your meat. Cade and I decided on bacon today. I cheat and have the kirkland pre-cooked bacon. Very fast and pretty good for stuff like this. Shred your cheese. Once the muffins have toasted, spread a generous amount of sauce on (1-2tbsp). Load on the toppings and sprinkle with cheese. This is about 1/4 ounce at the most per two halves. Broil in the oven or toaster oven until the cheese is melted and enjoy. These heat up well in the microwave and are great for school lunches. This is a great alternative to pizza nights. The kids have a blast making their own mini pizzas and I can control the fat content.
 We enjoyed our pizzas with baby carrots and snap peas, my two favorite lazy veggies. From bag to mouth in two seconds flat.

So there's your snack idea and here's your fitness challenge for today. Get out and do an extra 30 minutes of exercise above and beyond what you have planned. So if you're doing nothing, get out for a walk, run, bike ride, (come to class tonight!) if you already have your workout planned, then add in an extra walk. Nothing to strenuous. We're just trying to add in an extra bit movement today. It's the small changes that pay off big. Try to make this a social event. Go with your spouse, kids, friends. Skip the coffee date and get moving.

Have a great weekend and I'll be back on Monday!
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Looks Good! I'm always looking for easy and healthy lunch ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the extra hour and a half with Sarah H. last night. It was crazy! :3 But I was happy to get the work outs in.

    Having had the mini pizzas, I can honestly vouch for the deliciousness. <3

    ReplyDelete