Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Happy New Years!

Photo Courtesy of  www.dailywordbuzz .com

Happy New Years! This may seem a tad premature but bear with me for a moment.  As I've been reflecting on the close of 2010 there are a few thoughts that come to mind.  The one thing as sure as the ball drop in NYC is the influx of people to our local gyms. You can be sure that the classes at ymca, the cheam, or she's fit here in Chilliwack will be full to the brim and the same is true throughout the country. Boot camps will be filling fast and many exercise hopefuls will be making their resolution lists.  But what about today? We tend to look at New Years as this magical time to set the stage of who we ideally want to be (or look like, or feel like). We also are quick to do this with Mondays. This Monday I'll join that class or This Monday I'll start watching what I eat...  The problem with this is that we can get stuck in the planning stage and forget about the doing.

How about we make every day New Years Day? Permanent Change to your physical appearance doesn't happen with good intentions. It happens with day by day dedication. What would we look like 6 months from now if no matter what, we treated each day with the same zest and dare I say attack:) as January 1st? The real issue with resolutions is that we can tend to go all or nothing. (Hence the empty again gyms come March) I'm a total advocate for setting goals but we can set ourselves up for failure with sweeping statements like I'm going to lose 30lbs in 6 weeks. So how do I make every day New Years? My simple permanent resolution is to make sure that no matter what, every day, I commit to moving my body. Being active in some way. This could be as simple as going for a walk with my kids to running 20k on the rotary trail to pumping out a set of push-ups. My active goal could be 5 minutes or 2 hours. As long as I've moved my body in a purposeful way, I've succeeded.

So go ahead and head out to those classes our attend one of my upcoming bootcamps:) but why not do something today. Shake the turkey and pumpkin pie off and head out for a hike. Over the next few weeks my posts will be centered on strategies to succeed with all your fitness goals so stay tuned and Happy New Years!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment